October 15, 2014 – The N.C. Community Development Initiative invested $360,000 in 17 North Carolina nonprofits to spark economic growth and job creation in some of the state’s most distressed communities.
These one-year Community Enterprise Fund grants will help community economic development organizations implement strategic business and development plans in their communities. They are made possible with financial support from the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation, BB&T Corp. and other public and private foundations.
“Our Community Enterprise Fund grants directly support organizations that are training people for living wage jobs, building safe and affordable housing, restoring historic properties into vibrant commercial and residential areas, and providing counseling and education to help families purchase homes and achieve financial security,” said Initiative CEO Tara Kenchen. “These effective strategies are making peoples’ lives brighter while strengthening North Carolina’s economy.”
Here are the organizations selected to receive these grants:
- Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project, Asheville
- Brick Capital Community Development Corp., Sanford
- Cleveland County Community Development Corp., Shelby
- Durham Community Land Trustees Inc., Durham
- Eagle Market Streets Development Corp., Asheville
- East Carolina Community Development Inc., Beaufort
- EmPOWERment Inc., Chapel Hill
- Green Opportunities, Asheville
- Goler Community Development Corp., Winston-Salem
- Housing Assistance Corp., Hendersonville
- Kingdom Community Development Corp., Fayetteville
- Lexington Housing Community Development Corp., Lexington
- Mountain Housing Opportunities, Asheville
- Passage Home Inc., Raleigh
- Prosperity Unlimited Inc., Kannapolis
- Monroe-Union County Community Development Corp., Monroe
- Rocky Mount/Edgecombe Community Development Corp., Rocky Mount
For more information on the Initiative’s grant programs, contact Meena Ahuja, senior program officer, at (919) 835-6006 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The N.C. Community Development Initiative leads North Carolina’s collaborative community economic development effort, driving innovation, investment and action to create prosperous, sustainable communities. For more information, visit www.ncinitiative.org.