The Innovation Fund provides grants to nonprofit organizations to test and implement effective sustainable approaches that create wealth and economic prosperity in persistently poor communities in North Carolina.
In general, the fund supports projects that:
- Test new and creative approaches to generating economic activity in persistently poor communities that are designed to produce individual and/or community assets and increase income and wealth for such communities and their residents.
- Implement strategies for achieving those types of outcomes, the efficacy of which have been demonstrated in other settings but not tested in persistently poor communities.
Funded projects must address at least one of these community economic development priorities:
- Job Creation - Creating jobs for residents of persistently poor communities.
- Green Economy - Including poor people and poor communities in the Green Economy.
- Leadership Development - Developing the next generation of professionals for the community economic development sector through leadership development.
- Sustainable Development - Promoting long-term economic development in persistently poor communities through the implementation of sustainable development strategies.
2012 Funded Organizations
Final Report on 2012 Cycle
Read the Innovation Fund Report